Saturday, February 25, 2012

Saturday Night Fun Census Indexing


Your mission, should you decide to accept it (and I really think that you should do this), is to:


1) If you are not one already, become a FamilySearch Indexing volunteer so that you can work on the 1940 U.S. Census when it comes out after 2 April 2012. Go to https://www.familysearch.org/volunteer/indexing and sign up to index. If this is new for you, take the Test Drive, download the software, and do some tonight!


2) Once you have the software on your computer, then do some indexing. If you are new to indexing, then download a batch and work on it, learning the process along the way.


3) If you are an experienced indexer, then do a batch or two for SNGF.


4) Tell us what record collection you indexed, and how many records you did tonight
.

As much as I would like to help with the indexing of the 1940 census, I don't think I will be able to. As an accountant I know I will not have a free moment to do indexing till after April 17th of 2012, and by then I expect the 1940 census to be indexed. Does this mean I will not do any indexing? No I started indexing for the Washington State Digital Archives in 2004 and continue to today. Right now I am proofreading the 1890 Special Census for Surviving Soldiers, Sailors, Marines and widows, etc. for Spokane Falls in Spokane County state of Washington, hope to finish a couple of pages tonight.

The Washington State Digital Archives has 108,625,639 records preserved, 34,848,770 searchable records and new this month 3,142,343. It was the model that Family Search copied to put all the records Family Search has online today, and they also copied the use of volunteers to digitize the records to make them searchable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails