Saturday, January 18, 2014
Saturday Night Fun Matrilineal Line
Your mission, should you decide to accept it (cue the Mission Impossible! music) is to:
1) Consider your Matrilineal Line (mother's mothers mother's, etc.) families - the ones from your mother back through her mother all the way back to the first of that matrilineal line in your family group sheets or genealogy database. List the names of these mothers, and their lifespan years.
2) Use your paper charts or genealogy software program to create a Descendants chart (dropline or graphical) that provide the children and their children (i.e., up to the grandchildren of each mother in the surname list).
3) Count how many children they had (with all spouses), and the children of those children in your records and/or database. Add those numbers to the list. See my example below! [Note: Do not count the spouses of the children]
4) What does this list of children and grandchildren tell you about these persons in your matrilineal line? Does this task indicate areas that you need to do more research to fill out families and find potential cousins?
3) Kessiah Rebecca Brannam Loe b abt 1810 12 children 7 grandchildren
Margaret Loe Vanderpool (1837-1901) 7 children 17 grandchildren
Dona Vanderpool Travis (1873-1900) 7 children 1 grandchild
Cleo Travis Kelly (1890-1984) 1 child 2 grandchildren
4) Well I have never been able to find anything on Kessiah Brannam, but a search on Family search shows her husband had two sisters that married Brannam boys, so maybe there is a connection.