Thursday, September 30, 2010

Carnival of Genealogy Brick Wall breakthrough

Well this brick wall took a long time to break down. I actually had solved the link years ago, but I was not able to prove it. My grandmothers Dillinghams go back to New England in 1632, and one of my ancestors Melatiah Dillingham had married a Betsy Chandler, daughter of Enos Chandler and the Dillingham information gave a date for the birth of Betsy Chandler. Chandler records had Enos as a lieutenant in the Continental Army and his wife was Elizabeth Soule a descendant of George Soule of the Mayflower, but they listed his daughter as Elizabeth and no birth date for her. The Soule Mayflower family was researching the 5th generation of George Soule and it lists Elizabeth Soule that married Enos Chandler and it listed his children and their birth dates. Elizabeth Chandler's date was different from the Dillingham Betsy Chandler, so were they the same person. I was pretty sure they were the same person and Melatiah and Betsy had a son Enos Chandler Dillingham (he wrote a book on the Chandlers and I would love to find a copy of that book). So when the 6th generation book came out I ordered it and the page below shows Betty/Elizabeth Chandler married Melatiah Dillingham and that is official according to the Mayflower Society. So this page below added a SAR connection for my dad's side of the family, and three more Mayflower ancestors.



This page is from the 6 generation book on George Soule revised by Louise Walsh Throop, M.B.A. and is the first edition: part Two. Like I said I pretty much had all the information on this page before, but this makes the proof of the research I had done years ago.

3 comments:

  1. It's always nice to find (more) prove! Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I hope you followed up with an application to the Mayflower Society. George Soule is one of several ancestors I used for membership- Heather Rojo (Captain, NH Mayflower Society)

    ReplyDelete
  3. No I got rather turned off by the Mayflower Society after the Edward Doty Society plastered my GEDCOM all over the internet without asking or without eliminating the living people.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails