Saturday, February 22, 2014

Saturday Night Fun Technology


Your mission, should you decide to accept it (cue the Mission Impossible! music) is to:


1)  Julie Goucher, on her Anglers Rest blog, has a long-running weekly blog theme called The Book Of Me.  This week's prompts are about Technology.  We'll use that this week!


2)  For this week's Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - please address these issues:
  • What technology changes did your ancestors see?
  • What technology changes have you seen?
  • Did your family own one of those early changes? - such as television
  • Do you like or dislike technology?
  • What do you think has been the best technological change in your lifetime and 
  • historically?

  1. Well I have a lot of farmers for ancestors, many of the New England ancestors were ship builders and cabinet makers, and so the biggest technology changes, were the steam ships and railroads. My grandparents went from horses for farming to tractors and from steam trains to diesel powered trains. My dad probably saw the most changes, his father ran a creamery and they used horses to deliver milk. Pop said the horse would follow him down the street as he delivered milk to the doors of the customers. Later he worked in logging camps in north Idaho, first buying a Model T truck to haul logs, then a Model A truck and finally a Ford V8 Truck. He got to see World War II in Africa and Italy, and he flew several times in jets going to his army air corps reunions.
  2. As a baby boomer I remember the time before TV, but we got one pretty early, and we got a color TV later on. I took classes in Fortran programming in college, and bought my first computer in 1984. By the early 1990s I was a chat host on Tuesdays on the Prodigy Genealogy Bulletin Board helping people with GEDCOMs, and their Danish research and general computer problems, since then I have really not done a lot to even keep up with the latest technology. Do I like technology? Some I like and some I do not like.
  3. I think the internet has been the best technological change in my life time, but the auto historically. Think how easy it is for us to travel hundreds of miles in a day verses how long it took our ancestors to travel that same distance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails