Wednesday, June 29, 2011

The Seasons of Genealogy for the COG # 107

Well as a practicing accountant I have two seasons: Tax Season and the rest of the year. So which season do I do most of my research? Actually I do a little research almost every week even during tax season. I have to get away from the office and a quiet library is a good place to unwind. So what do I research each week? I actually volunteer for Eastern Washington Genealogical Society doing research for them since the previous researcher retired in 1998, and about 2004 the county auditor contacted EWGS looking for a genealogist to help them with research and I did that a lot till a couple of years ago. I still go there a few of times a year, but early on I was in the courthouse almost every week. Why so much less now? The Washington State Digital Archives has most of the records I looked for at the courthouse online now, notice I said most, they missed a few and are still working on probates, divorces, and other civil cases. These were filmed in order of filing and so the films contain a few sealed cases that need to be purged before the rest can go online. So that is the research I do for EWGS, how about my own research?
Actually I have not done a lot of research on my own ancestors in several years, but I do keep my eyes open for new sources to check all the time. My own research is always done in the non tax season, because after a lot of 14-16 hour days at work I do not have time or energy left to do more research. I have checked out Steve Morse's site to look for the Enumeration Districts for 1940. I inherited the house my mom and her parents were living in in 1940 so I know that address, and my dad was living close by in a boarding house. His parents were still on the farm in north Idaho, so they will be easy to find also. Pop had a sister on a farm in Montana, a brother on a farm in Washington and a sister in Coronado, California (her husband was a naval officer stationed at San Diego).

1 comment:

  1. I had to giggle when I read your two seasons. Thoughtful post. Have you check out familysearch.org lately? If you check on search all records collections you can see the newest additions.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails