Monday, November 7, 2011

52 Weeks to Personal Genealogy Junior High School

Week #45 – Junior High School

Week 45. Junior High School. Describe your junior high school. Was it a large or small student body? Is the school still in existence today? How has it changed since you went there?


I went to Shaw Junior High School, while I lived three blocks from Whitman School and four blocks from Rogers High School. Shaw was 1.4 miles from my house. Why do I know so precisely? If you lived 1.5 miles from Shaw you got to ride the bus, but I was one block too close. Shaw was opened when I was in sixth grade so the building was still pretty new when I started seventh grade. I went three years to Shaw and most of the time I rode my bicycle except when there was snow on the ground. Shaw was built like three "H"s with the gym on the end, so HHH-Gym. The central hall ran north and south with the cafeteria and shops in the north wing, the other three wings had classrooms and at the south end of the central hall was the gym. It had a big sliding door in the middle so it could be divided for girls and boys gyms or opened for convocations. There were about 1300 students there then most from our neighborhood, but some bused from as far away as northwest Spokane in the area served by Salk Middle School now days.



This picture shows the south wing of classes on the left and the gym on the right from the lawn by the flagpole. Today they have changed the name to Shaw Middle School, and it only has 7th and 8th graders and I heard they have closed off a complete wing of the school since they have so many fewer students now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails