Monday, March 28, 2011

52 Weeks to Personal Genealogy Sweets

Well like most kids I liked most anything sweet, cookies, cakes, pies, candy, and ice cream. Probably my favorite is ice cream. My grandma made great oatmeal raisin cookies, and pies of every kind and I liked them all. Mom made fudge in December every year, the fantasy fudge on the marshmallow cream label. As she got older I stirred it for her and I nearly always got to lick the pan after she was done.
When I was in my 20s I had a few fainting spells and mom said I needed to see the doctor to see why. Mom was a diabetic and it is inherited, so the doctor wanted a fasting blood sugar test. So I fasted for 12 hours and went in, they took a sample and a few minutes later came in with a cookie for me to eat, my blood sugar was 30, supposedly I should have passed out when it gets that low. So a few more blood tests and I am diagnosed with low blood sugar and put on a low sugar diet that includes eating 5 times a day, still on that diet today. So now I do not eat a lot of sweets, but still have my ice cream.
Since mom died I have made the fudge for Christmas, and have tried many recipes, but the one I liked the best is lemon fudge, very similar to the fantasy fudge mom made.

Lemon Fudge
The actual recipe was actually called Black Cherry Swirl Fudge, and I changed two items from the original recipe:

2 1/2 cups sugar
2/3 cup evaporated milk (small can)
1/2 cup butter or margarine (1 cube)
1 package (10 or 12 oz) white or vanilla baking chips
1 jar (7 ounces) marshmallow creme
2 envelopes unsweetened black cherry Kool Aid (I used lemon Kool Aid instead)

Line a 13x9x2 inch pan with foil and grease the foil with butter, (I used pam instead), set aside. In a heavy sauce pan combine the sugar, evaporated milk and butter. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for 4 minutes.
Remove from heat; stir in vanilla chips and marshmallow cream. The vanilla chips did not melt very well every time I used them so I stirred in the vanilla chips while still on the heat and when melted I turned off stove and stirred in the marshmallow creme. Next they want you to put a cup aside and then stir in the Kool Aid to the remaining fudge and then swirl the two together so you have ribbons of white and color. I just stirred the Kool Aid into all fudge and the poured it into the pan to cool. I first made this last Christmas and it was very lemony, and while I like lemony most people said it was too much lemon, so I tried it with only 1 package lemon Kool Aid, and that is still very good. What other Kool Aid flavors would make good fudge?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails