Saturday, October 2, 2010

Saturday Night Fun Best Genealogy Advice I Ever Got

Calling all Genea-Musings readers - it's Saturday Night, time for more Genealogy Fun!!

Are you ready? Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to:

1) Leah over at The Internet Genealogist blog, wrote The Best Genealogy Advice I Ever Got Was earlier this week. I thought that it would be a good challenge for SNGF.

2) Tell us what genealogy advice you received that helped you improve your understanding, knowledge and skills in genealogy research.


Well I can think of two people that gave me some very good genealogical advice. I think the first was to join the genealogical bulletin board on Prodigy. Now I know few people even remember the Prodigy bulletin boards, but they were an exciting place for a very newby genealogist to learn about researching my ancestors, and I read and read all the posts that interested me, and later on became a mem rep (member representative) and hosted chats every other Tuesday on general computer and Danish research. I also did some easy lookups for people on Prodigy in the local newspapers, and that led to me doing lookups for EWGS.
The second best advice was a list of speakers to listen to at my first National Genealogical conference. A friend gave me that list as I headed off for my first national genealogical conference. I can not remember if it was NGS or FGS, but I had picked out about 6 classes I wanted to go to, but was undecided on the rest so my friends list was much appreciated. She said even if it was not in my line or even close do not miss these speakers. The only one I can remember now is Elizabeth S. Mills and she was correct you do not want to miss Elizabeth if you go to a conference and she is one of the speakers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails